7 Warning Signs You Need a New Roof
7 WARNING SIGNS YOU NEED A NEW ROOF
Brought to you by Columbus Handyman.
Accustomed to a dry and leak-free home? Well, a strong and solid roof is essential to keep it that way! If you’re looking to sell your home, a new roof also has the ability to add curb appeal and increase the value of your home. But wind and rain have ways of creeping into your home as your house ages.
Wind and rain mean moisture. When water seeps into your home, it can cause the growth of mold and other fungi, which can weaken structures, smell and cause discoloration.
You may not easily see where or how, but even the strongest roof can be damaged by Mother Nature. Unsure if your roof needs replaced? Here are seven warning signs it might be time to call the pros at Columbus Handyman.
- Your roof is over 20 years old: A typical roof lasts between 20 and 25 years, according to most industry experts. This timeframe can vary greatly depending on a number of issues such as: the layers of shingles, ventilation and of course, weather.
- Missing or broken shingles: Often caused by wind or physical damage, missing or broken shingles can negatively impact your roof. This is an easy entry point for water to enter your home.
- Curling or buckling shingles: This is a major sign your roof needs replaced. Curling or buckling shingles are more prone to wind and ice damage, and likely to break and lose tab edges.
- Ceiling leaks in your home: Check your ceiling for water spots or light coming through the top of your house. If you notice black or brown spots, that means mold caused by water is leaking through a hole in the roof.
- Roof valleys: Valleys are vital for ensuring that rain and snow flow into gutters. Inspect your roof regularly and if shingles appear in bad condition in the roof valleys, this can lead to leaks in your home.
- Attic ventilation: Proper attic ventilation removes moisture and heat from your attic and extends the life of your roof. Without adequate ventilation, this can result in increased energy costs and damage to roof system components as well as personal items in your attic.
- Daylight through roof boards: If you see light coming through your attic, this is a sign your roof boards have weakened due to moisture. When you walk on the roof, you will experience a springy, trampoline-like feel.
Ready for your roofing estimate? We will match or beat any of our competitor’s quotes! Contact Sonya at Columbus Handyman at (614) 263-2479 or schedule online on our website.